Monday 4 April 2011

Day 2 The Laughing Cow

How often have you seen this? The office opens at 7.30 and closes at 4.00pm. If you need cash to visit a project or buy materials you have to wait until 9.00 before finance will give you the money. Whose interest are they serving?

I asked for bread and cheese for breakfast. I got two slices of nan bread and an entire circle of Laughing Cow cheese triangles. I only managed two of the eight cheese triangles, spread as you can imagine across each nan bread. So I reckon I am on bread and cheese for at least the next 4 mornings. Otherwise food is good, although nan with everything is quite a challenge. I think I have eaten 8 nan breads today.

Work is beginning to take shape. The organisation is concerned about its admin costs and I think they have a point. However some of the costs that they think are admin, are not very administrative at all - they are simply managed in an administration department. The people who look after the stocks of water pipes, the people who evaluate the effectiveness of the program are not administrators. Unfortunately all the program people are in one building and all the rest are in another, adjacent, building. So like in so many organisations the rivalry develops and anyone in the admin building is deemed to be an admin cost.

Having said that there does seem to be excessive layers of management and I suspect that a lot of the administration feeds of itself and does not focus outwards. Now where have I seen that before???

I admire their honesty in raising this with their funders and seeking to solve it before the funders make any cut. There seems to be a genuine concern to support the extremely poor people in rural Afghanistan by pushing resources out to the programme. If this willingness can be maintained then the job of making painful changes should be possible.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you get to try something more local than Laughing Cow!
    Middle Eastern flatbreads have a huge cultural as well as nutritional role (random fact - pita was the distant source of the Italian pizza) and are as much a vital eating tool as a food. The local variety is usually served with every meal. 'Nan' just means bread and 'Nan-i-Afghani' or 'Nan-e-Afghani' (Afghan bread)is the most common local flatbread; though it is admittedly very similar to the Indian naan in texture, and also cooked in a tandoor, the Afghani type is thinner and has a rather different recipe containing egg but not yoghurt. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Category:Flatbread_recipes Let me know if you try the Bolani, or other breads while you're out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no veg then? I love the way you get thursday early closing as well. Cold, grey and wet here and I have got 28 russian emails so far today. No idea what they mean, I asked Ilana once to translate and she said it was all about fishing, but she may have been trying to shield me...

    ReplyDelete