Monday 11 April 2011

Day 9 Stirring the Hornet's Nest

Whilst I was away my report had stirred up lots of controversy and debate. But strangely this was not over any of my main recommendations. The main controversy was over the structure of the newly merged programme department: I had added in a control function by moving various functions like reporting to donors and procurement and stock control from the admin departments to the new programme department. In my diagram I showed how this would fit in with the existing programme structure. I thought this was straightforward.

The unintended consequence was that many people thought that I was proposing a final structure to the programmes department, which is in the middle of discussing its plans for the next four years. I wasn't, but obviously I had raised a lot of fears. I spent several hours today listening to everyone's special case and then carefully explaining that I really wasn't trying to impose a structure on them.

Tomorrow will be even more mundane as I pile through lots of job descriptions. If it is that bad I promise not to bore you with it.

1 comment:

  1. how interesting that even in the midst of such uproar and loss of life, people still get upset by this kind of thing!

    ReplyDelete